Bernie Sanders’s Twitter Breakdown
We dug into the habits and tweets of legendary Bernie Sanders (@SenSanders) by analyzing the data looking for trends and insights. In total we examined the last 1000 tweets between July 30, 2018 and April 13, 2019. All times in this article are in Pacific Daylight Time.
The account dates all the way back to April 2009.
This re-tweet by Bernie Sanders was the most popular of all the retweets
Alec Smith died 3 days before his next paycheck, waiting to buy insulin.— Marissa D. Barrera (@mdb2) November 22, 2018
• He aged off his mom’s insurance
• His job didn’t offer coverage
• He got a promotion making $40k/yr, too much for ACA subsidies or pharma assistance programs
• The cash price of his insulin was $1,300 https://t.co/Sip7CjrB7p
SenSanders’s top day to tweet is Thursday and the most active hour is 9 a.m. For the period we examined, the busiest date was December 3, 2018, with a total of 46 tweets.
Analyzing all 1000 tweets, @SenSanders tweeted on average every 6.17 hours, impressive by any measure.
Analyzing the past 30 days prior to the most recent tweet (from Apr 13), we generated a chart showing Bernie Sanders the tweet frequency.
Most Liked and most retweeted Tweet
Remember: our "crazy idea" of universal health care is a reality in:— Bernie Sanders (@SenSanders) August 16, 2018
Be a leader, not a follower
@SenSanders follows 2096 other users. Bernie Sanders is on the way to becoming a Twitter Legend, having amassed an amazing 8,283,211 followers. The most retweeted user was @SSWorks (15 times).
Tag! You’re It
Top tags used by @SenSanders were #SandersSAIS (used 17 times), #MedicareForAll (used 15 times) and #ClimateTownHall which was detected 14 times.
In this section we surrender to speculation about @SenSanders. Because we can.
- 5.56 percent of the 36 tags had a number of upper and lowercase inconsistencies.This indicates that Bernie Sanders is mostly consistent, but perhaps sometimes in too much of a hurry to enter the tags correctly.
- Assuming each tweet takes 30 seconds to type and send on average, then we can calculate the time spent tweeting over a one-month period is 58 minutes (30 seconds times 30 days times 3.89 tweets per day). If we also assume that before the actual tweet takes place, two minutes of thought are spent in thoughtful contemplation about phrasing and possibly locating a great image, then the total amount of time spent tweeting and thinking about tweeting is 4 hours, 51 minutes per month.
- Approximately 90 percent of tweets are sent during the workweek (Mon to Fri). It seems Bernie Sanders favors weekdays slightly over weekends.