Bill Passed: A bill to reauthorize the Museum and Library Services Act.
The bill passed the Senate Dec 04, 2018 the House on Dec 19, 2018. It was first sponsored by (D) Senator Jack Reed from RI.
Summary: Museum and Library Services Act of 2018 This bill amends and reauthorizes through FY2023 the Museum and Library Services Act and provides funding for library services and technology through FY2023. The bill expands the definition of “library” and “museum” to include a tribal library or museum and expands the services museums are authorized to provide. The Institute of Museum and Library Services, under the 21st Century Museum Professional Program established by this bill, may enter into arrangements with museum, museum consortia and associations, institutions of higher education, and other entities for projects to: increase the number of students from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds enrolled in graduate and undergraduate museum-related programs; recruit future museum professionals from such backgrounds; develop new or enhance current professional development and retention programs for museum professionals and the museum workforce; and support and conduct research, needs assessments, pilot programs, and evaluation of education and professional development programs to recruit, prepare, educate, and retain the next generation of museum professionals.
The bill is mainly related to these subjects; Elementary and secondary education, Higher education, Economic development, Appropriations, Minority education, Indian social and development programs, Rural conditions and development, Educational facilities and institutions, Student aid and college costs, Health information and medical records, Executive agency funding and structure, State and local government operations, Libraries and archives, Museums, exhibitions, cultural centers, Advisory bodies, Financial literacy, Humanities programs funding, Adult education and literacy, Digital media and Arts, Culture, Religion.
- (R) Sen. Susan Collins from ME
- (D) Sen. Kirsten E. Gillibrand from NY
- (R) Sen. Lisa Murkowski from AK
- (D) Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse from RI
- (D) Sen. Elizabeth Warren from MA
- (I) Sen. Angus King from ME
- (D) Sen. Doug Jones from AL
- (D) Sen. Tim Kaine from VA
- (D) Sen. Margaret Hassan from NH
- (D) Sen. Richard Blumenthal from CT
- (D) Sen. Bob Casey from PA
- (D) Sen. Amy Klobuchar from MN
- (D) Sen. Gary Peters from MI
- (D) Sen. Christopher A. Coons from DE
- (D) Sen. Jon Tester from MT
- (D) Sen. Chris Van Hollen from MD
- (D) Sen. Cory Booker from NJ
- (D) Sen. Benjamin L. Cardin from MD
- (D) Sen. Tammy Duckworth from IL
- (D) Sen. Tina Smith from MN
- (R) Sen. Roger Wicker from MS
- (D) Sen. Mazie K. Hirono from HI
- (D) Sen. Debbie Stabenow from MI